Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Food and music

Hello out there in blog land! Today I thought I'd address the Food issue. I've received a couple questions about my diet and after I mentioned using my iPod while on the treadmill folks have asked me about the type of music i listen to and have offered some great suggestions.

First the food. I'm going to start by saying that I'm a pretty picky eater. That's not to say that I have very refined tastes but more to say that I have very simple tastes and a lot of food dislikes. For instance I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't like shrimp...well let's expand that to include ALL Fish! Oh, and don't ask me well what about salmon...'cause..uh...that's a fish and as we've established that I don't like them. "Well Sean...how about tuna? you have to like tuna?" To that I would have to give you my "you know tuna is a fish don't you?" look! I'm dead serious here...No Fish shall pass these lips. Beyond that I'm not down with the eggs unless they are baked into a cake...so let's just mark eggs off that list. I'm also allergic to Milk. Now, to clarify I don't have an intollerance to lactos...meaning I don't have a gastro-intestinal reaction to milk. What I have is a histamine reaction to milk that causes severe mood swings. It's not fun. So no fish and no food with High Dairy content which leaves out a lot of suplimental shakes and the like.

So, my menu revolves, primarily around the nobel chicken. Now the idea as I understand it is to spread my calories out over 6 meals a day. (two of those meals being snacks)

Bare in mind this is a preliminary menu. It doesn't quite have all the calories that I'm allowed to have and I may want to go to 4 meals instead of six so I'm not spending my whole day trying to prepare my food.

Breakfast will generaly consist of:
1oz cup of Plain Oatmeal
tablespoon of raisins
1 medium apple
total 220 calories

Meal 2
health/energy bar
total 150 calories

Lunch
(3 chicken soft tacos)
1/2 cup Cooked Black Beans
6oz chicken breast
3 medium whole wheat tortillas
lettuce and tomato
total 506 calories

Meal 4
Meal replacement shake (egg protine)
total 250 Calories

Dinner
1 medium apple
6oz chicken breast
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1 cup cooked whole wheat pasta
total 494 Calories

Meal 6
2 Celery stalks
2 slices of whole wheat bread
3 tbls peanut butter
total 468 calories

total for the day 2,088 (I should be getting about 2600 calories at my size and activity level so there are some changes that have to be made)

I'll talk more about my menu after I meet with Kendrick on Tuesday so don't everyone make your suggestions just yet...there will be modifications)

Ok, on to the music.

My muiscal tastes are pretty far ranging. I do, however, tend to gravitate toward singer songwriter music. Be it rock, folk, country etc. I love a song with good words that I can sing along with. I will admit that I'm not much up on what's on the radio these days. Where i live i happen to be blessed with an abundance of very talented local musicians several of whom happen to be friends and who supply me with all the music I could ever need.

The band I listened to on Sunday was a band called Bob's Child. Bob's Child is a former Sacramento group that played an acoustic jam band style of music akin to Dave Matthews Band or Phish. I am fortunate to have been close with the musicians and to have several of the live shows on CD and during their live shows they were known for jamming out a tune for 10 to 15 minutes sometimes so those recordings will be a lot of what I listen to on the treadmill. I can listen to their stuff forever and never get tired of it. I'll try to post an mp3 sometime soon if anyone is interested. (as soon as I get permission)

Another artist I listen to is also a very good friend of mine. Justin Farren. Justin is a singer songwriter that I like to compare to Greg Brown or Paul Simon. Beautifl songs with wonderful words and imagry and a great sense of humor. If you get a chance please visit his web site and launch the music player at the bottom of the page for 2 full songs. You can also visit the iTunes store and listen to samples of the rest of the songs from his current CD.

Other than that I'll probably mix in music from Cake, Tenacious D , Greg Brown, Modest Mouse and Dave Matthews.

So, there you are. That's about as much as I can offer at 2 in the morning. Please forgive my type-os.

To bed....will post again tonight!

8 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Ah, all good stuff. I like the music ideas. I am really impressed with your life that you have so many friends who make music and your music is all from your community and is grassroots. Thats so cool.

I have many responses to your diet and menu plan...but I will keep a zip on it until you talk with your doctor, and trainer etc. Sounds like you are getting things more and more clear.

You are already amazing for getting this much done in a couple days, on the treadmill and to a doctor. It's really incredible.

Later!
Candy

4:21 AM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hey Sean...

I got your email with a photo early this morning...and started working on a painting of you. It's going to be about 50"x40" and very bright and colorful.

I posted the beginnings of working on it, with a link on my blog!

Have a wonderful day, it's beautiful and sunny here in Chicago and I've got a friend and family coming in to town. Have a good one, lots of fun,
Candy
http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/

8:13 AM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice diet.

By any chance, do you listen to Air Supply songs when you work out? Just a question that popped out of my mind, actually.

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

2:09 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Candy, That's sweet I'll flip on over and check it out! Thanks for all your great work!

nepspeed82- No Air Supply yet but I may give it a shot some time soon. I'll have to download some and I'll let you know! Thanks for coming back. I enjoyed your blog...lots of good info!

3:46 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger fifipoo07 said...

go for it!

4:24 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Thanx! I'M gonna! :0)

4:36 PM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger cytogirl said...

Too wierd...this was my last 5 hours in a nutshell: talked to my husband and agreed that we will finally do something to get healthy starting tomorrow because I can't walk up 2 blasted flights of stairs to work in the morning and he cancelled a golf game because he's embarrassed that he can't play that well any more because of his extra weight; wrote a review for our favorite band's new cd, in which I state that one of the reasons I love the cd is that "I love music I can sing along with"; then I checked my favorite blogs in my handy dandy favs list, one of which being One Red Paperclip which happened to have the link to your site; cruised over to your site, which is now also in my favs list, and started reading from the beginning; thought to myself man the guy is a cutey inside AND out and he knows what my husband and I are about to face; got to this entry and read that you like singer/songwriter, "music I can sing with", rocky/country music and thought to myself, no way this is coincidence that all of these topics showed up together in the same day without there being a reason. So for me, I'm sending my husband a link to your blog for a bit of inspiration...and for you, if you don't already know the band or music, I suggest you download Blueground Undergrass's album "Faces" from Itunes and hopefully you'll like it and can use it for more good exercise music! Loads of love to you!
Julie
p.s. and of course my husband will be your fan 'cause you like Tenacious D! :P

9:20 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

cytogirl:
(I thought I'd repost this here incase you don't find it on your blog)

Hey,

I thought I'd swing by and thank you for your wonderful post. It definitely made my day!

It's funny how things like this work out. I guess the universe provides when it's the proper time huh? And, I know what you mean about walking up stairs...hate'm! Haaaaaate'm with a passion. And, they're so smug...stairs...they sit there all steppy and whatnot. Taunting us with their arrogant incline. Yeah...I know how you feel. ;)

I do try to do the stairs if there is only one flight but any more than that will have to wait.

I'm going to check out "Faces" like you suggested. I'm always looking for new Good music to listen to..did you get a chance to check out "Justin Farren" on iTunes? If not you should, when you have a moment.

Before I go I wanted to give you this link My Page Rank . You can submit your blog to Google and several other search engines for free. That way the bots will be crawlin' all over your blog in no time!

Thanks again. I really mean it. Your post was the kind of thing that makes this all worth while. I hope you and your husband swing by and say hello from time to time. I'd love to hear about your progress and of course if you have any insight for me...let me hear it!

Sincerely,
Sean

2:41 AM, June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home