Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Saturday, June 10, 2006

It's here! It's here! Day 1!

Well, as you can tell by the title of my post, today is indeed my first day at the gym. I'm on the way and there is no turning back.

So it goes like this.

I arrived at 24hour Fitness at 3pm. I realized immediately I had forgotten my towel and lock for the lockers oh yeah and my temporary membership card. Alright...I'm off to a good start. I grab the food preference forms that I was asked to fill out and I and my spiffy black sweat pants stroll into the gym like we belong there. I sidle up to the counter and proudly announce that I have a 3pm appt with a trainer. (at that exact moment I forgot his name)
"Aaaand, what's your trainer's name?", came from across the counter.
I shoot back a blank stare... "uuuuh don't know", I masterfully replied.
"Well. Ok...do you have your temporary membership card?", asked the young clerk.
"um..about that", was all I could think to say. My this was going well.

The guy eventually looked up my account by my name and called over my trainer. Kendrick. Kendrick is a lean guy, about 25 years old and had a personality that put me immediately at ease. We went back to the trainer's office and set about the task of building a menu that would be nutritious and easy to follow. This took roughly an hour and at the end we came up with a list of foods and a plan for me to divide aprox 2700 calories over 6 meals a day. I'll go into more detail regarding the menu starting tomorrow after I go shopping and start to employ it. Suffice it to say I will be eating a lot of chicken but that's ok. I don't want the food to be too complicated.

After the food was settled Kendrick took me out onto the floor and showed me a few pieces of equipment he wants me to start out on. The treadmill, of course, and a sitting rowing machine. Kendrick ran me through a couple rowing and squat sets and then had me do 20 min on the treadmill.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to format my workout info in my blog posts but it might look something like this:

Saturday June 6, 2006
4pm
1) rowing machine 50lbs [2 sets] set 1 =20 reps set 2 =15 reps
2) partial squats [2 sets] set 1 =15 reps set 2 =10 reps

3) Treadmill 1.5mph 20min incline =0 calories burned =119

Ok so it's not much but it's a start. I'll go back tomorrow and try to get in 30min on the treadmill and from there my workouts will be Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday w/ trainer and Sunday on my own.

Please let me know if there is any other info that you would like from my daily reports and I will try to include it.

Oh and I should say...yes my legs are like jello right now and I expect some pain in the morning but...to be expected heh?

mmmmm...jello.....

6 Comments:

Blogger crazy4jasmin said...

Sean,
I just wanted to cheer you on on your goal. Your blog is developing nicely. I wish you much success & happiness.

8:06 AM, June 11, 2006  
Blogger Octavia said...

Was surfing around looking for people's weight loss stories & ran across your usenet post.... I started cutting back about 2 weeks ago & tomorrow I start a DIET. Haven't dieted in about 10 years, so I'm apprehensive but excited...Wanted to extend kudos to you - good luck:)

9:59 AM, June 11, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Hey everyone! thanks for stopping by with such lovely support! To answer your concern erica...I am a sore puppy this morning but it's the kind of sore that you can tell will only last a short while so I'm encouraged.

Thank you jasmine for your compliment and well wishes. I hope that the blog becomes something worth reading for a variety of folks. the more the merrier ya know =0)

Octavia! Congrats on your start as well! And thank you for sharing it with us. That's part of what I want for this blog, for it to be a place to share personal trials and tryumphs! Good luck to you and please keep checking back and letting us know how you're doing. By the way i read your journal and tried that Face Recognition site. It said that I looked 67% like Russell Crowe...uuuh yeah..i can see it ;0)

I also put in the picture from my myspace page (a picture of a puppet I built in a fit of boredom last year). The response came back with No match. I think the size of the mouth was the issue...

Anyway, thanks to you all!
sincerely,
Sean

11:58 AM, June 11, 2006  
Blogger thehealingroom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:33 PM, June 11, 2006  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Oops!!!

ha ha that was me that posted a s"the ehaling room" because I was helping my friend set up her blog and hadn't signed out

so here is what I tried to post...

Hey great work. Are you sore today? How does it feel and what did you eat?

this is really exciting and I am glad to hear that your trainer is a good person and hey 20 minutes ona treadmill, I think thats pretty ambitious.

I am going to link you to my blog, and I linked you to a friend of mines blog as I was helping her set up her first blog today.

I will be donating some money to diabetes for you at some point okay? I've got some ideas...maybe what I will do is make a painting with you as my inspiration...I'm an artist lots of photos of my art at my blog...and I have just put a painting at eBay of a fun project I was working on.

what I'll do is I'll get something going for you, maybe with your image in it and then post it on eBay and we'll donate some money through that to diabetes!

I sure hope you feel all our support around here!!!!

I am really into food, nutrition, economy and mental and spiritual health. I also classify food like bread, noodles, rice, potatos as sugar. They turn to sugar very quickly and out body doesn't distinguish the difference between bread and cake.

Chicken is slower to digest as are salads, brocoli. I would recommend eating something from the cabbage family AT LEAST ONCE A DAY...this includes, kale, brocoli, brussel sprouts or cauliflower. It really helps the bodies digestion. processing and metabolism.

I hope I am not being too nosyparker by saying all this. I really wish you best of luck!


this is going to be interesting!
Candy
http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/

12:36 PM, June 11, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Candy Minx Haha! I saw that first post in my email box and was a little curious who this new comer was ;) To answer your question I feel pretty well today. A little sore but that's to be expected. Yesterday though my legs were wobbly and with my weight I was in constant fear that I was going to hyperextend my knee at any moment so I just took it slow and took each step deliberately. I think today will be a little better. I'll probably hit the treadmill for 30min today and give the squats a rest for a day and let my muscles rebuild.

Thank you, also, for your offer of a donation. The Art angle is a fantastic Idea. I'm curious to see how that turns out...let me know if you decide to do it and if you need anymore pictures.

As for the diet I'll get into that more tomorrow. I have to make a big trip to the store and stock up on my staples. Lots of chicken, fruits, veg, whole wheat pasta and carb products etc. I'll keep in mind your suggestion about the cabbage family. Though, admittedly, I am a picky eater and would propably only be able to stomach the brocoli from that group.

oh and never worry about offering your knowlledge...I learned a long time ago that the more info the better, so I'll always listen. I can always decide what i can and can't use later.

Thanks again for your enthusiastic support! I think this is going to be interesting as well!

Sean

p.s. I'll link you to my site too! thanx!

1:38 PM, June 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home