Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Nourishing Traditions

I love getting things in the mail so today was a good day in my book! Today I received a wonderful gift from an extra generous "watcher" named Talena Winters. As Talena's blog bio reveals she is a wife a mother of 3 boys under 3 an artist, musician and she's writing the next great Canadian Musical! On top of all that she has time to blog about her exploits and send people, in far away lands, fantastic cookbooks so that they can be more healthy and make better food choices. I don't know how she does it! Honestly! I can''t find time to get in 4 square meals on a daily basis and she got all of that going on? Are the clocks different in Canada? I mean are there like 47 hours in a day up there? lem'e'see...half the distance to the north pole...square the hypotenuse...carry the one...dang! I'm gonna have to take off my other shoe...aaaaand ad the vector... Nope same 24 hours! What's you're secret?

Well while we're waiting for her answer check out her blog here Winters Day In.
The book she sent me is Nourishing Traditions written by Sally Fallon w/ Dr. Mary G. Enig Ph.D. It's a cookbook! From what I've read so far it's not just a cook book but a book full of good old, time tested nutritional information mixed in with tastey recipes that appear easy to make. The book goes into how foods work together to promote good health and lays down the straight skinny on the body's need for the proper fats in natural foods! All in all it looks like a keeper. I can't wait to try some of these and I'll let you know when I do!
Thank you Talena! A very thoughtful gift!

I should also point out that I've finished the supply of Nature Greens that Ryan Kiel from Vibrant Living sent me about a month ago and I'll be posting a review in a day or so.

other than that what's to report? Still batteling this insomnia but I've spoken with my Drs and they've given me some really good pointers so hopfully in a few days I'll have the situation under control. I've completed my original package of sessions with my trainer and will be signing on for more so that we can keep trying to crack the code my body seems to have put on the fat vault. All the signs are there as far as fat loss goes. I feel stronger. Clothes fit better and my stamina is getting better....I was able to get in 45 minutes on the treadmill today and 100 crunches. I caught a glimpse of myself today in a full length window and I can't say that I see it yet but I'm not worried because...What do we say? "I'm not done yet"...that's the affirmation...anytime I get discouraged I simply remimd myself that "I'm not done yet" and I realize that there is no need to worry because it's all part of the process...

ok folks...off to sleep. g'night.

8 Comments:

Blogger The EYE said...

"i'm not done yet" - not a bad mantra at all. one that can be used for just about anything and for as long as you need.

its hard to notice visible change in yourself, since its gradual and you see every step of the way, its easy for it to go unnoticed. better to focus on how youre feeling, and any change in numbers (the scale may or may not still be playing nice... but how about those body measurements, man??? those cant be denied, even if you dont see them!).

6:27 AM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Roy said...

45 minutes on the treadmill? That's work, bro. Good job!

As to not seeing it, you spent a lifetime putting it on, don't expect that it'll come off in a few weeks.

You'll get there!

6:43 AM, August 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean,

Remember how you were saying that your workout clothes were becoming like tents? Well there was more of you before that filled out those workout clothes that's now gone-outta here-hasta la vista baby! You may not be able to see a big difference, but changes are happening. Awesome work on the treadmill! I'm sure on day one that 15 minutes seemed like it was going to kill you, but now you have worked up to 45 minutes! You are doing an amazing job and we are all very proud of you. :) KA

10:26 AM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

100 crunches, sheesh1 That's awesome. and 45 minutes on treadmill? wow, even if you never changed your appearance your stamina changes are worth it...and life said above, it will show up obviously for you one day.

Maybe it's a blessing that you feel the changes very subtle? That might help with any self-image or trnasformation issues that some people experience losing wiegt too quickly. I think it's better to lose weight slowly but steadily.

The cookbook sounds very helpful and healthy and it really is a cool gift.

I think some of the insomnia may be linked to improving your diet and stamina. When I take natural source vitamin B and the green supplement..I am a lot more wakeful...and if I take vitamins too late in the day, I have trouble sleeping. it's because you need them and you are having more energy. I feel confident you will adjust and begin to get sleepy again soon. If you manage to get six hours sleep though, that may be all your "new" body needs?

10:53 AM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Daffy Man!! said...

Have I missed a weigh in? Whats the total loss??

11:21 AM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Billy Guilfoyle said...

Hey Sean,

I'm without internet, man. Internet is game over at my place due to a virus that has freed me up to be able to read and other things. So I'm at the library and wanted to say, I'm with you in spirit. Hope all is great and I'll talk to you soon. There's no myspace access here either, so if you email me it would be better.

guilfoyle_billy@hotmail.com

Peace dude

6:52 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Eye: hey first let me sya congrats on the 11 lbs man f'in' a! great job! Keep it up and you'll get to your goal in no time! Sweet!

as for your post...yeah I know it's hard to see gradual change and as for measurements I just took them yesterday and I'll post them as soon as I get a copy from my trainer..

Roy: yep 45min! i got off the treadmill and it felt like I was still on it for like 15 more minutes! as for the rest...I know... it's just difficult.

KA: Thanks K. of course you're right. I'm just itching to show people and myself results from all my hard work and it's Difficult to open the site each day and not be able to move that weight icon down. And i know I'm putting on muscle while I'm losing fat but sometimes I feel like...enough with that...lets get on with the weight loss already. grrr...just needed to vent a little...thanks

Candy Minx:
wow, even if you never changed your appearance your stamina changes are worth it
Oh my Goodness could you imagine me running around 520lbs of nothing but muscle...as interesting as that may sound that's not what I'm going for here LOL!
The cookbook sounds very helpful and healthy and it really is a cool gift
yeah it;s pretty great and the more I read the more I want to cook from it...looks like a major shopping run this weekend!
as for the insomnia I started taking my vitamins earlier in the day a long time ago because I thought that they might be the reason but no change...it may just be the exercise and ifthat's the case it'll work itself out in time.

The Flagmana; I'm not sure if you have...last total was 23lbs fat loss and 28lbs muscle gain. So the weight loss has not yet eclipsed the muscle gain but I'm hoping that it will start happening soon!

gatsby: yeah...I started taking my vitamins earlier in the day because I thought they may be causing the problem but no such luck...I will look into the Valerian rootthough...thanks!

As for the crunches and treadmill...the last time I lost a lot of weight all I did was situps and jogging so I'm wondering if my slow progress isn't my boy going..."eah...yeah...I'm going to have to ask you to step it up buddy...we've seen all this stuff before...let us see somthing new! Until then No Changes for you!"

7:19 AM, August 04, 2006  
Blogger Talena said...

Okay, Sean, I figured something must be up when I saw all the hits on my site from yours today. I scrolled down a few and - voila! here we are! I'm so glad the book came, and that you like it.

Hmmm... just think how much energy you'll have as you get closer to your goal! I was so glad to hear the progress report in here. Yay for you! Insomnia's a bummer. I get it occasionally, but usually when I've had tea too close to bedtime...

Just re-reading the post. You make me laugh. Thanks for the link. (I keep meaning to update my links and get you on there, too, but as you pointed out--there are only 24 hours in a day. As much as I often wish we could somehow convert to a 36-hour one, or something. I'll getcha up there, yet.)

Take care! I'm looking forward to even more exciting news from your direction in the months to come!

8:50 PM, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home