Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Sunday, August 13, 2006

I've got prune hands!

First things first! I want to thank one of the posters here for the latest contribution to my Diabetes fundraiser!

Wizie was kind enough to make a very genreous donation to help fund diabetes research and I want to take this opportunity to thank her for helping me reach one of my goals! Thanks you from my heart!

************************************
One of the little effects of having such horrible insomnia has been a few late trips to the gym. Now I know I should be home trying to sleep but sometimes you just have to get out and do something...anything. Friday night was just this type of occasion. I ended up at the gym with a lot of energy to burn and it was late enough so that the place was pretty empty. I got done with my treadmill and my crunches and some weights and decided that if I was going to get over my nervousness about swimming in public now was my perfect opportunity. I had some shorts in the car and a clean t-shirt so I got changed and slipped into the pool. As I lowered myself in I thought back and realized that I had not accutually been in a pool for at least 15 years and all because of my weight and the negative self image it has caused. I quickly remembered why I liked swimming so much and ended up lounging around in the water for about 2 hours. The sheer enjoyment of near weightlessness alone was worth it. Every bone in my body was relieved of the stress that over 500 lbs places on it 24 hours a day. It was pretty amazing. I must say though, it was far too easy to get used to the feeling. The moment I got out of the water I really felt every ounce of the weight that I carry. It was nothing less than crushing. For a moment I wondered how I could ever carry that much weight because it felt like the weight of the world and I honestly worried that my body wouldn't recover and accept it's burden... It took me at least 10 minutes until my body got used to it again.

All in all it was a good experience and I think that i'll be able to swim around friends the next time the occasion calls for it. I'm glad I did it but it did serve to remind me that I have a long way to go and another reason to get there.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny sean that you had that experience... I too love the feeling of weighlessness being over 250lbs. I go a lottle crazy this time of year because I try swimming every day, outdoors( I hate chlorine!)... in the rivers and lakes here in Ontario... Amazing experiences really... my fav is snorkeling in the river not far from here and floating down the currentand then swimming against it!... so I can relate... not only do I have prune hands... I am feeling muscles in my thighs I did not know I have!!!
Swimming is a great way to burn some calories don't be afraid! go for it...Take advantage of having a pool to swim in!
Good to catch up on your journey...
Kathy in Ontario

9:06 AM, August 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME, *awesome*, awesome! As a swimmer, it's always lovely to see folks take the plunge and get in the water. How delightful to hear that it was fun and relaxing at the same time. Keep it up, man! Great work. ~ m

9:35 AM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I love swimming...I love pools, lakes, ocean, rivers....being in water is so wonderful and fun and relaxing.

I find no matter what I do, the best toning I ever get is when I am swimming regularily..

I love it that you actually got into the pool and had such a good feeling Sean, keep on going guy!

10:22 AM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Hey, are you much of a reader? I just wonder if having some kind of book nearby at night might be nice and even helpful to decomress, to relax and get into some kind of story...might even find your self falling asleeep. I know it works for me often.

10:24 AM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Housefrau said...

So glad to hear about the swimming! It is *great* exercise--especially when your foot problems make it hard to treadmill. Swimming laps is good, and so is water aerobics. I know everyone thinks it's for little old ladies, but you will be surprised at what a great (non-sweaty!) workout it is. Oh, do try it. You've taken the first hard step already!

5:22 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Paul Babin said...

Dude . . I am still going to forever hate swimming. . . there is just too much involved! Anywise . . congratulations on being able to pick up a quarter. That is some awesome stuff. And getting over the nervousness of swimming. It was great seeing you a few weeks ago. You defintely were looking more energetic than when I left for socal. Keep up the great work man!

8:13 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger The EYE said...

good for you, man. personally, im not much of a swimmer. its good to hear you were able to get yourself in the water, considering how much you've said you enjoy it. definitely very good for you.

4:52 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger nikki said...

YAY! I'm so happy for you Sean, it seems like every day brings you new experiences and revelations. My newest feat is being able to climb the stairs every day at work and not be out of breath by the top (there are 59 steps in total, and at first it was a brutal thing to do). I was embarrased to walk up them with my fit friends, because by the end of it I was completely out of breath, gasping (silently!) for air. I have to walk up them twice a day, and even in two weeks it has made such a huge difference. These little, every day accomplishments are what make our loss journey exciting and worthwhile. I hope you get some more swim time soon, and that you are comfortable enough with you friends to "take the plunge". I hope today brings you more great things!
All the best,
Nikki

6:32 AM, August 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sean,
Love reading your blog, and following your progress. When is your next weigh in? Your current blog weight thing says last weigh in was in June. Any plans? Although I'm sure you will see results on the scale, your great story on picking up the quarter proves that you are well on your way to your goal. Keep up the good work!
Shannon

11:11 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Talena said...

Good for you! "Face your fears, and the death of fear is certain." I don't remember who said that. Maybe Winston Churchill?

Anyhoo, way cool, Sean. (This kind of reminds me of that movie "What About Bob?" "Baby steps to the car, baby steps to the door, baby steps..." You get the picture. But this was more than a baby step--it was a giant leap. Way to go.)

4:01 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Carmen San Diego said...

You sure do inspire me to get out and exercise. Now that I have my oxygen, I really want to get back into exercising. i just need to make myself get out and do it. I can't seem to find the motivation, but i will one day, I know it. Hopefully by the end of the week, I will have done something that is considered exercise.

Carmen

8:45 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger A Heathier Me said...

I just started reading your page and this is an awesome post. Good for you! It's that feeling you got of accomplishment that will motivate you to keep going.

Good luck!

7:01 AM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Citizen_Stu said...

I have not been swimming for a long time. I know what you mean about the feeling of weightless ness. I used to love just drifting on my back.

2:35 PM, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean,

The best way I describe swimming is like a workout in a hammock.

Don't worry about your self-image man, you know, when you see a fat guy, you don't judge him, nobody does, but you feel people judge you.

People don't they may look, but they look at all body types.

Go swimming regularly, swim as much and as regularly as you can, and you will get to a level where you feel better about yourself much quicker, and can enjoy swimming even more.

Good luck!

12:47 AM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »

2:41 PM, March 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home