Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

6/21/06 Weigh In!

I guess I'll get right to it.

*sigh* I gained a pound. I'm exactly 1 pound heavier than I was 2 weeks ago. Now I can't say that I'm not disappointed because I am...just a little. I will say that I do feel that there has been improvement. My muscles are tighter. My Balance is much better. I have a little more energy and my clothes and even my car fits a little better. So there has been obvious physical improvement. I was just hoping that the scale would reflect that. But it doesn't...yet.

I don't know how accurate these electronic scales are. The ones that supposedly measure your weight, body fat and fat free mass... But I used the same scale so I assume it's at least accurate when checked against itself. And if that is true then there is one reading that has improved. Total body fat:
on 6/8 the computer told me my total body fat was at 51.5% and 269.4 lbs (122.2 kg)
on 6/21 the computer tells me my total body fat is at 49.9% and 261.5 lbs (118.6 kg)
which in my books constitutes aprox 8 lbs of fat loss. Someone check my math...I could be misunderstanding the numbers!

So there you have it. I don't know if it's a major improvement but I'll take it as a sign that things are starting to go well. Besides I never expected this to only take 2 weeks...I'm in it for the long haul and I hope you will join me for what should be an interesting ride. Besides I need someone to talk with me on the trip so I don't fall assleep and crash this blog into a ditch somewhere in the middle of nowhere!

12 Comments:

Blogger Billy Guilfoyle said...

You're doin great, man!!! Love it! Next weigh in will literally floor you, I know this! Peace to the west and east,
B

7:09 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean, don't be disappointed at all! That body fat percentage is actually FAR more important than your overall weight. What those numbers tell me is that you've been diligent about working out and eating right and have not only lost 8 pounds of fat, but also gained 9 of muscle! What's wonderful about muscle is it is takes up about 1/3 the space of fat, that's why your clothes and your car are fitting better. Muscle is also what burns fat, so the more muscle you have, the better fat-burning machine you'll be!

On your first day at the gym, your trainer should have taken your measurements. If he didn't, don't let another day go by without doing so. Inches and %body fat should be your key metrics, not pounds. As long as they are going down, the pounds will take care of themselves!

7:10 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Paul Babin said...

Sean . . . don't lose your steam. I can't make a comment to the scientific aspect of the numbers that you threw out there . . but weight is such a weird thing. At my peak from my heaviest I lost 30 pounds, and pretty much kept it there for months. . . too much running I think and not enough food. I purchased the protein drink that I told you about from my trainer, increased my eating and followed a lifting program and within two weeks I gained 15 of those pounds back . . . and I was doing twice the workout that I used to. All muscle baby! All muscle! Don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat and you are going through a process of eating probably more often than you are used and your body is having to compensate for motion that you didn't used to force it to do. And that soreness that you have been feeling the last couple of days . . you know . . from ripping your muscles and forcing them to beef up. Its all about muscle . . which weighs more. You said it yourself things are starting to fit better. . . so don't get disgruntled. Its going to take time . . but you've got us all here to cheer you on!

Dude . . when did I become a cheerleader? That's messed up :)

Anywise . . take care my friend and we might see you next month for a short bit.

7:12 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, Sean! Can't wait to see what the next two weeks bring. Just remember all the science counts, but not as much as how you feel--if your clothes fit better and you feel better working out, you are definitely on the right track! Keep it up. (Insert complicated cheerleader jump with fancy arm motions here.)

7:41 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean! Please note what I posted on your "June 20, 2006 Food and Workout" comments section.

Do not fall for this trap! I know when I lost my weight I gained THREE pounds after my first two weeks. After the next two, I lost eight. There are MANY factors that can explain it. Water weight, because you are hydrating better, muscle gain, water retention as your body adjusts to it's new regime... Plenty of things. It sucks but focus on the good feelings!

8:29 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sean

I have been reading your blog for the past few days. DONT GET DISHEARTENED! Tracy is totally right - buring the fat is important and increasing your muscle mass will only help burn more fat.

Congratulate yourself for sticking to your program and look forward to a good loss next weigh-in.

Teresa from Australia

8:31 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work man you will make it happen. Don't worry too much about the numbers...I know you fell better have more energy and maybe even sleep better. I know I do. Keep up the good work

9:06 PM, June 21, 2006  
Blogger Kyle MacDonald said...

Keep it up man, it's gonna happen. Have fun, and keep your chin up!

kyle

9:13 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it up, man. You ARE doing great.

10:26 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hells yeah! Keep it up, man.

6:43 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Roy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:26 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Daffy Man!! said...

Ah don't worry about the one pound gain. It's ALWAYS like that if you are doing things right. The body doesn't know whats happening to it yet! It thinks it still has the upper hand when its really about to be beat down. Good luck! I am going to watch you all the way to 250!

7:14 AM, June 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home