Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Monday, July 24, 2006

Watch My Loss Goes Public...

...WAAAAAIIIT!

Before everyone runs off to your stock broker with your piggy banks, flower jars, sock drawers and those soup cans with the false bottoms hoping to buy up 51% controlling stock in my blog so that you can show up to the board meeting in a mink coat smoking one of those really thin cigarettes on an extra long filter hoping to fire me an take over the blog so that you can balloon up to over 500lbs and then try to lose it all so that you can get on Oprah and jump on her sofa like some sort of Tom Cruise Wanna-be..... stop.

All I mean is that Today was the day that they let me set up a table at my gym so that I could bring my message to the glistening masses. And that's just what I did. There I sit...laptop and print-outs in hand smiling like a dieter who has just been told that the FDA has reclasified pizza as a fruit.

There they were..my public! Just waiting to line up and listen to my touching story....or maybe they were lining up for the drinking fountain. But, i wouldn't let that deter me. I'm at least half as clever as a drinking fountain and I would soon have their attention.

Turns out that that drinking fountain was the freaking Einstein of drinking fountains. I was clearly out witted...I don't think anyone even saw me. ;)

But seriously. It was slow at first until I realized that I was just going to have to speak up....'here goes'...."Padone me ma'am?" I spoke timidly at first. "How do you feel about finding a cure for Diabetes?"...she stopped and came over...! Sweet my first person...I was in business! I repeted, "How do you feel about finding a cure for Diabetes?" Her Hand flew up to her chest and I thought that I had really touched on something with that question...She then replied "Oh thank God! I thought you said something else...nooo no I don't have Diabetes. I'm not interested!" and walked away quickly.

Uuuuuuunhhh?

Lets look at that play in super slow "analogus" motion..."do you want to donate to the World Trade Center victim's families?" "Wahh? Oh...Thank GOD! I thought you said something else....!No thanks. I didn't live in N.Y during the attack! Tra la la!"

Well...Ok it wasn't as bad as all that but it was a strange response. As if the only people my information should go to were people with Diabetes. *sigh* lol

After that it got much better. I eventually spoke to about 20 or so really thoughtfull people. I collected emails and received a $10 donation! All in all i had a productive day and met some very nice people (Who I hope read to the bottom of this page so that their first impression of me, on line, is not that of a whiner)

Thanks to everyone who stopped by my table at 24HR Fintess on 7/24/06! I hope you enjoy the blog and any donation the the American Diabetes Association would be greatly appreciated!

8 Comments:

Blogger thehealingroom said...

Funny story Sean!
/What couild have she thought you were really saying? Something lewd?

8:47 AM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Selina: Exactly! I was hoping that my post made some sense...it was so late and I was sooo sleepy. I just reread it and had to do some serious editing. It's funny what I type and the strange mistakes I make when I'm tired. Oh and thanks for the flattery *blush*

The Healingroom: I have no idea.. I think we were both a little confused... :0)

8:59 AM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger The EYE said...

good for you, man. i'm glad it went well.

oh, and by the way, it's a rare thing indeed for me to literally "laugh out loud" at something i read on the internet, but "smiling like a dieter who has just been told that the FDA has reclasified pizza as a fruit" has got to be one of the damn funniest things i've read in some time. bravo.

9:19 AM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

the eye:

LOL you liked that huh? Man that would be a fat man's dream come true...! We could start a whole new industry...glass of Pizza juice with breakfast. Mixed pizza salad with lunch and after dinner Home Made Pizza Pie! mmmmmmmMMmmmmm
freash pizza on my pancakes...yogurt with pizza on the bottom...pizza roll-ups for kids on the go. Give your date a box of assorted pizza flavored chocolates..."which one's the pepperoni?" "I dunno you gotta bite into it to find out..." "uuuuh this one...'bite' oooh anchovy!"...etc.

12:48 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger The EYE said...

definitely. i see pizza smoothie stands in the mall, chocolate covered pizza for holidays, and my favorite - pizza scented air fresheners, perfumes, and soaps/detergents!

i think you're on to something here... :)

2:31 PM, July 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God... good for you for getting out there... LOUD AND PROUD!!! It is one thing to advertise this amazing plan of yourself to all of us out on the www... we don't know you, we can't see you, we can't feel you...But for you to put yourself out there in the man-eating world of the ALMIGHTY GYM,
YOU ARE SOOOOOOO BRAVE
I hope you reap rewards for your cause...
And... ya pizza air freshener... HOW GROSS!!!!:)
Kathy

11:01 PM, July 25, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

the eye: Dude...the pizza body spray. OOOH yeah! Walk around smelling Pizza fresh all day!

Kathy: Normally I'd say something like..."awww it's not so brave" but I have to say sitting there on display was a bit unnerving but ever since I kicked my social phobia issues a few years back I've been able to muster up the courage to do things like public speaking if needed for the proper cause. In my roll as director of the non profit program I run I've had to give speeches to a church and gave an improptu speech at a MTV Rock the Vote Show about music education and I might add got a lot of applause...or was that my heart neating out of my chest? either way...I'm getting used to this type of thing but this was still a little uncomfortable...I'm trying to learn to be the type of person who can do these things because I think that I'd like to one day do things like this on a larger scale...not weight loss...lol but things that may be motivating to others or something to do with creative philanthropy. I'm thinking about taking up a cause every year and doing something creative to raise money over the internet for that cause. I have a feeling that if I can raise the $50,000 for the ADA and lose the weight like I've pledged to and If I can get a little media publicity surrounding it that may give me the momentum to get some other projects I have in mind off the ground.
ok now I'm rambling...sorry about that but this has been on my mind all day and I took the opportunity to write it down to make sure it didn't sound silly...

oh and YES Pizza Air Freshener! Imagine the different scents! mmmmMMMmmmmm!

1:00 AM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

neating = beating

1:03 AM, July 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home