Home  |  Contact  |  Donations  |  Myspace

Sunday, July 02, 2006

I'd Like you to meet Bob...


I really couldn't think of anything on topic for today so i thought I'd share one of my hobbies with you. This handsom devil to the right of the post is Bob. Bob is the product of my boredom. I often dabble in different things when I get bored. One day I came across a website that had information on puppet making and thought it looked interesting. I ordered a book called "The Foam Book" which is all about making puppets from laytex foam.

The moment I received the book it was off to the fabric shop for materials. Did you know that that there are like 15 different type of spray on Glue and that not all of them will adhere foam to foam? Well now you do!

I worked on him for about 3 weeks or so. I shaped his head and torso, I gave him hands lined with wire so he can hold objects. I even found him a wig in a thrift store. Bob had just about everything he needed but a purpose.

Well...Bob sat on my vacuume cleaner handle for a couple of weeks while I tried to figure out what I was going to do with him. As opportunity would have it my team manager at work would supply the perfect purpose for Bob's unlikely existance. As it turned out our team at work was in need of a project highlighting "Work Place Safety" or as our company calls it "Systems of Safety"! I seized my opportunity during the next team meating and pitched my Idea for a Video Starring none other than Bob. "Mild mannered call center associate by day but when co-workers suffered the ill effects of poor ergonomics he transforms into 'Systom's of Safety Guy'!"

Needless to say the idea went over swimmingly! I was put incharge of writing a script and two talented women on our team set about sewing a costume for Bob. And of course my friends and I came to the rescue with his Theme song! Which, I wrote and sang..thank you very much! the lyrics went something like this...

He's an average guy like you and me
Taking calls at the Kaiser AACC (the name of the place where I work)
But When bad ergo makes his co-workers cry
He becomes Systems of Safety Guy!

(break down)

Chair too high?
Ouch my back!
Wrists feel tight?
Carpal Tunnel Jack!
What you gonna do when you're neck's out of whack?
Call Systems of Safety Guy!
That's right...call Systems of Safety Guy!
(replys sung by female back up singer)



Everything was in place...the puppet was done. The script was funny. The premise was that bob would stroll into the call center to start his day's work and regular people would greet him as he walked down the hall way to his desk. (keep in mind that Bob was the only puppet but no one seemed to notice.) Bob would get to his desk and log on to start taking calls when all of a sudden he hears a cry of pain from a cubicle in the distance. Unable to resist this cry for help Bob spins around in his perfectly adjusted ergonomic chair and when the chair stops spinning Bob pops out in full costume as Systems of Safety Guy! He runs down the hall passing co-workers who insist on still greeting him as Bob even though he is in full costume (you see the problem is that Bob is not really a super hero...he's more like the hall moniter back in grade school that everyone picked on...he just happens to wear a costume and insist that people call him Systems of Safety Guy. People love to tease him by calling him Bob anyway and he always reacts with frustrated professionalism. He politely corrects them and heads off to complete his task)
When Bob reaches his injured co-worker he finds that due to poorly arranged ergonomic equipment on her desk ie: wrong keyboard, mouse too far from keyboard, desk too high etc. she has wrist pain. Anyway..to make a long story long...in a series of funny clips including a game show motif he shows her the proper way to set up her ergo equipment so that she will be comfortable and protect her wrists...yadda yadda yadda. Then we end with one of those public service announcement type endings where the main characters sit facing the camera and tell you if you'd like to learn more about ergonomic equipment see your manager blah blah blah...

We were all set to film that bad boy! Ahhhhhh......then my manager got transfered and the project got scrapped and someone made some posters or something instead...

-The End-

9 Comments:

Blogger No name said...

Quite amusing -- you should film it anyway! Or make a mini-documentary about the experience, including the end result. I'd watch it (on YouTube!)

Good luck with your "Loss" - I've been reading your blog on RSS and admire your courage and good humor.

6:02 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

This is so fun and what a potential hobby. I love it that you just got right into it!

I have friends that have a circus (Zero Gravity Circus) and one of them makes his own puppets and makes quite a living off of busking with them...I had no idea that juggling stilt walking and puppetry could be carreers, but these guys can make a killing all afternoon!

I love Bob's mouth, very cool.

Somehow I see a video...but maybe not about system safety...diabetees safety!?

Cheers
Candy

6:53 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger nikki said...

That is hilarious! I agree with Mr. FM, you should totally film this anyway, I think you might have something in the making that you could shop around to other places. If I worked in HR, I would make everyone watch it... "Watch the puppet damn you! LEARN from the puppet!!"

Good job with sticking to your exercise routine, it's hard. I'm at the five-month point in my Loss journey, and let me tell you, it's tempting to skip the walk at lunchtime. Your blog definitely keeps me motivated! All the best - Nikki

6:57 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Mandy said...

Bob is fantastic!! You should find him another venue. :)

11:48 AM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Roy said...

Wow, the puppet looks really cool. I'm always impressed at those who can make something like that out of what looks (to me anyway) like random odds and ends. Good show.

And you should film it! You could have a fun time with it on Youtube or something.

2:31 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Well, here's a thought - you should make some kind of educational video aimed at grade school kids - something on the same order - but think up something related to kids in school - anyway, people make big money doing stuff like that - just a thought, but you never know! A handsome chap - er - puppet like Bob should not just sit around on a vacuum cleaner handle!

3:52 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger The EYE said...

awwww, man, i was really looking forward to a video link at the end of that post... ripped off. YOU got ripped off there. bob looks awesome... cant let him go to waste. you gotta find a good use for him!

4:55 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Billy Guilfoyle said...

Hey Sean, definitely do something with Bob. some kind of Justin Farren music video, maybe. Like the one with him flying over the ocean and landing in Hawaii to work on a pig farm in the low income district of Maui. His name IS Bob, after all.

Is Firechild sitll going? Maybe a cute little intro video that explains about the Firechild Foundation. Have you talked about that on this blog? You should share with everyone about the foundation, if it's still going. It's awesome!!

10:10 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Sean Perkey said...

Mr. Food markets: First of all yer makin' me hungry with that name! ;)
You have a good Idea there with the youtube thing. Hmmm... My buddy Justin and I have been kicking the idea around about doing film projects and will be working on my watch my loss podcast. Maybe we can throw something together... If we do I'll post it here...
Oh and thanks for the compliments! I hope you continue to read and polease come back and comment some time soon! Thanks !

Candy Minx:
It was one of those whims that just took off! lol

Wow...you stumped me...Usually I'm right there with the vocab comprehension but you got me with "Busking"! But I googled it and it's in the vault now for future reference!
I don't know about me and street performance though... *shivers at the thought*

hmmmm..."blood sugar bob" it has a ring to it ;)

nikki: The puppet knows all and sees all...doooo what the puppet says....

that's spooky!
Thanks for the comments nikki! You guys keep me motivated too!

Mandy: Thanks! I'll definitely try! Maybe I'll make one that looks like me and use it for my podcasts from time to time...

Roy:
Thanks a lot! I was kind of impressed that I was able to do it myself. It was a total whim that kinda worked out!
I'm starting to think this youTube thing may be the way to go. thanks!

Yvonne: you have a good idea there. I'm sure that a series of instructional or educational films for children might be a lucrative idea...food for thought! Thanks!

The EYE: Tell me about it man! I was all setto go. A friend of mine who plays piano was going to go over the video afterward and add music and sound effects where needed...it was gonna be freaking sweet. I was seriously prepared for recognition from corporate types in the company for the idea but...alas... *sigh*
I'm sure we'll find something to do with him! I'l let you know if we do!

Billy! A Justin Farren Video huh! Maybe... :) and yes. FireChild is still going. In kind of limited capacity at the moment but it's still going! I'm sure I'll get around to posting about it but I want to get it going a little stronger before I do. But I promise I'll let people know about that too. It's all part of my whacky hodge podge life! Love ya man! talk with you soon!

7:56 AM, July 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home